According to a recent article in Heavy Duty Trucking (click HERE), “A new report shows traffic congestion in the U.S. increased last year after two consecutive years of declines and is growing faster than the nation’s economy.”
That report being cited is the 7th Annual Traffic Scorecard Report by a company called INRIX (click HERE).
Why is it important to know that congestion is rising?
- indicator of economic recovery
- predictor of crash rates (higher congestion should produce more fender-benders)
- impact on fuel, idling and lost productivity (from sitting in stalled traffic)
- indicator of unemployment trends (when people are unemployed, they’re not commuting to work, but when they accept new jobs much further from home, they commute longer distances in unfamiliar territories)
- indicator to the government planners that road capacities need to be monitored and infrastructure improved
Many of the issues facing fleet operators due to congestion can be addressed through the use of an inexpensive, easy to use, plug-n-play telematics system like the one offered by SafetyFirst (the GO platform from GEOTAB).
With simple reporting, fleets can monitor and adjust their habits to conserve fuel, increase routing efficiency, avoid congestion and increase productivity. On top of all that, the data can provide additional insights into safety especially when you blend MVR data, past crash data and How’s my driving data into a single behavior profile through our E-DriverFile system.
Have you seen increases in congestion in your area of the country? If so, how have your operators been coping with the added delays and stress? Is your company looking to lower fuel spend and increase safety through telematics?