All motor fleet operations generate or collect various data on their driver’s performance:
- How’s My Driving Alerts
- Crashes (at-fault, preventable, etc.)
- Telematics (GPS, EOBR)
- Driver Logs
- Toll Receipts (EZ Pass, etc.)
- Automated enforcement violations (which come direct, not through MVR data)
Additionally, fleets track information about other types of driver “events”:
- Completion of training classes (online, classroom, tailgate talks, etc.)
- Completion of year or years with no crashes (ie. Awards)
- Internal Company Violations
- Customer Complaints
- Supervisory Observation Reports
Historically, each of these data sources have been in their own “silo” or “compartment” — but what if we could get all of this data together in one spot? We could:
- segment all drivers by relative risk taking behaviors
- segment all drivers by crash risk
- segment all drivers by age, tenure, training completed and then compare their crash histories to build a profile
- determine which factors precede a collision (i.e. how many incidents, which types of incidents, etc.)
- assign a predictability score to each driver based on actual data trends and schedule them for additional coaching or training to modify their habits and risk taking.
More simply put, we’re trying to leverage data to build awareness and reduce crash likelihood.
Fantasy? Millions of dollars needed? Nope. It’s real, and it’s happening right now among some of the nations largest fleet operators.
Imagine searching through 6500 driver records to find the “at-risk” needles in the haystack. Now imagine doing that with the push of one button.
One of several SafetyFirst clients implemented our E-DriverFile system three years ago on a pilot basis, but then rolled it out to their entire corporation. This enabled them to cut the number of “at-risk” drivers in half within the first year simply by targeting their current training and supervisory resources on those people at greatest risk of becoming involved in a collision?
Further, our new, online safety training modules are laser cut to fit specific issues surfaced by our How’s My Driving Hotline and our E-DriverFile profiling system. These modules zero in on those risk taking habits, and remind drivers that there are serious consequences to the choices they make when behind the wheel.
At five to seven minutes each, they represent the next generation of online learning — focused, sharp, brief, emotive and able to convince drivers to “internalize” the need and desire to driver more safely — to make wiser choices — to take fewer risks.